I'm asking on behalf of my wife who has remembered seeing this movie for a long time. Here are the key details she remembers about the movie:
- It was seen on TV around 1997 or before.
- It involves a boy, a girl, and a baby who are dropped off at an older male relative's house.
- The setting looked to be about 90s based on cars.
- The house seemed abandoned when the kids arrived.
- Weird things started happening when the kids got inside: trap doors, fake walls, etc.
- At some point, the kids got separated and the boy was looking for the girl and the baby. He went into a room where he could see the girl in a rocking chair with the baby, but when he walked up to her she was holding a snake and she started laughing like an insane person. He ran out of the room.
- Later, the kids had found each other and entered a room with a large cake. The boy went to eat the cake, and the girl slapped the spoon out of his hand. When the cake hit the floor it burnt a hole in the floor. Then, you could see the older relative coming up through the floor laughing.
- The kids tried to run outside, but the world had changed and everything had reverted to Western times with a ghost town and abandoned wagons.
My wife is aware of the resemblance of the main characters to the characters from A Series of Unfortunate Events, but she doesn't think it is connected. At the very least, she is certain it was a movie and she doesn't think her dates could be off by more than a few years--so it couldn't have been seen later than about 2001.