This question already has an answer here:
I'm looking for a story that I read a few years ago. I cannot remember if it was a short story in an anthology of other stories or stand-alone book, but here are some details I do remember.
- Definitely a book. This was not a TV show or movie.
- The story revolved around a robot/automaton who, in a series of journal entries, explains that he discovered that his race was dying off.
- The protagonist found through self experimentation that his brain was controlled by wind, and for some reason, there was less wind available.
- The protagonist experimented on himself to determine that his brain was essentially a system of gears which are turned by the wind.
- One plot point involved some sort of ritual which was supposed to take place at a certain time, but he noticed that it was slightly off
- I believe the story ends with the robot dying, but am not sure about this.