- Not the Mid World books or the LeGuin forest book
- Human colonists on a forest planet, want to be independent from Earth
- Author’s first name might have been Christopher
Edited to add more information thanks to a helpful memory jog:
- Planet was definitely outside this solar system- in fact, the story referenced that the human colonists had left the solar system after previously colonizing the outer planets.
- I don’t remember any character names. Only character attribute I remember is the main anatagonist, a very technocratic Earth admiral trying to assert control by force.
- No sex that I recall - I would have been 12-13 when I read.
- Tone was much more sci fi than fantasy; detailed descriptions of the Earth ships and the colonists’ defenses. There were several battles.