I think I read this back in the late '90s or early 2000s. I don't remember the plot at all, but there are a few bits and pieces that stick in my mind:
- Part of the book takes place in the real world, and the other part is in a VR simulation. You need a special suit or some sort of equipment to enter the simulation.
- A young girl has the ability to enter the simulation without any equipment, whenever she wishes. This is a big deal and some bad guys want to kidnap her. An older man (the protagonist) discovers her, looks after her and keeps her away from the bad guys.
- The man has a friend in the simulation who is an AI. The AI is named Prometheus, and he wants to understand enlightenment and what it means to be human. He often tries to catch a fish in a small bottle or cup. I think he also listens to classical music.
- The simulation is full of advertisements, which I believe the man complains about at some point.
- Some characters use a drug that glows either green or blue.