I was recently in a building, and someone wrote this on a table:

Image of a word in a Tolkien-made language

It seems to be Elvish. What does it translate to?

  • 17
    "Clean me"....?
    – Valorum
    Apr 19 '19 at 19:29
  • 15
    Strictly speaking, it's not Elvish, it's the Tengwar script. Apr 19 '19 at 22:21
  • 6
    @curiousdannii makes an important point. If I wrote the characters sigma tau omega pi, I wouldn't have written the Greek for "stop".
    – user888379
    Apr 20 '19 at 0:29

I admit to little skill, but it appears to say approximately "stargazing."

[s][t+a][r][ng+a][z+i][n][ng] (Note that there is no simple "g" sound in Quenya.)

I ruled out Sindarin in favor of Quenya because Sindarin diphthongs place the vowel before the consonant, which would give "satragizng."

Thanks to Mark in the comments for pointing out the clarification: this is an English word written using the Tengwar script in the Quenya mode.

  • 4
    So English then I guess.
    – ibid
    Apr 19 '19 at 22:14
  • 3
    @ibid Remember that the runes and Tengwar in the title pages were all transliterated English.
    – Spencer
    Apr 19 '19 at 22:57
  • 13
    Specifically, it looks like it's English written in the Tengwar script using the Quenya mode (as opposed to actual Quenya written in the Tengwar script).
    – Mark
    Apr 19 '19 at 23:32
  • Elennapalantirië (?)
    – James K
    Apr 20 '19 at 18:38

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.