Just saw the new Total Recall and experienced a moment of "How could they do that?" The premise of the movie indicates the entire world has been laid to waste except for the UK/Europe region and the Australian continent called the Colony. People commute between the two environments.
Let's assume between the two regions there are 250,000,000 people between the two sites with a smattering of robotic help, (robots were used primarily for security/police services). The tube could not possible go directly through the core of the Earth, so if they went around, that would make the trip at least 10,000 miles long. With 80% of the world's population deceased:
- How in the world could they build the amazing transport system that moves underground from Europe to Australia, in less than 30 minutes?
- Where could they get the raw materials?
- Or is this whole scenario part of the dream sequence and we as the viewers simply have to accept the nature of this technology as part of the dream?
One end of the Intra-planetary Rail System
- Starring Kate Beckinsale, Colin Farrell, Bryan Cranston, Jessica Biel, Bill Nighy and Ethan Hawke
- Total Recall is a Science Fiction/Action/Adventure film directed by Len Wiseman, and written by Philip K. Dick, Kurt Wimmer, Mark Bomback and James Vanderbilt.