I don't remember much from the book, but what I do remember is this:
- Humans are the only sapient species in the universe (to their knowledge)
- Humans on earth have been watched over by other homo sapiens, these being from a different world. Kind of like how you would build a vivarium to study an ecosystem
- The scientistis studying the early humans have been trying to find other sapient life in the universe, but to no luck. They are able to sleep in cryopods so they can study the evolution of species through thousands of years
- The is a space ship below the ice in Antarctica, and time there is different than time outside of it
- The protagonist is female, and I remember her accidentally using a teleporter inside of the spaceship, going to a distant star where a battle happend hundreds of years before.