I'm looking for a short story where an astronaut crash lands on Mars (or perhaps some other planet). He begins to regain consciousness, and panic sets in as he realizes he's going to die there. He then loses consciousness for a few moments, only to regain consciousness and experience the same exact panic/realization.
I read this around the 2010's probably, but I'm sure it was written a while before that... Unfortunately can't think of any other details otherwise.
EDIT: Some other details:
- The story started with him regaining consciousness for the 1st time, having already crashed
- It ended with him regaining consciousness for the 2nd time
- He was the first astronaut to land there (in fact, I think he was the only character in the story, but unnamed...?)
- I read the story in English, either online or as a .pdf.
- It was required reading for an MIT creative writing summer program for high schoolers
- I'll add more as I think of them!