I can't remember too many details from this book I read a few years ago. It had the following elements:
- In English, not a translation
- Flying ships (large wooden tall ships), I think through magic, but it may have been balloons or a combination. They definitely had sails for lateral propulsion.
- A rune/glyph based magic system
- A pistol duel, one of the characters cheats by swapping the guns. It is concluded by someone shooting the other in the ear on purpose.
- A mute character (or a character who couldn't communicate for some reason)
- A character who is a monk
- May have involved dragons, but they did not factor heavily into the plot if it did
If I recall correctly, the book was the first in a series, and the others had yet to be written, I'm asking because maybe the second or even third book has been written by now.