When I was a kid we had a VHS tape of some Disney live action (not animated) sci-fi movie. It may have been a mini-series or a made-for-tv movie, but I'm not sure. I'm also not sure about the year but it would probably have been late 80s or early 90s based on when I would have seen it. I know it was Disney because they had some live action Goofy and Mickey running around the movie's set as an introduction discussing the plot with a host before the movie.
The plot is basically as follows:
- A starship is loaded with mostly children and teenagers as a cross-galaxy human settling effort.
- Accidents (which are not really accidents and later revealed) cause adult crew members to be killed.
- They travel to another planet and face all sorts of troubles.
- It arrives at the new planet after overcoming obstacles.
Other memorable scenes that may help:
- Navigating out of earth's asteroid belt made out of space junk.
- One of the adults was killed via an airlock malfunction.
- The ship was supposed to be peaceful with no weapons. At one point they bring on board some crazy guy who puts together a rail gun. There's a memorable line like "Do you want no weapons at all or a well aimed rock?"
- There's a planet or space station (I can't remember which) that has a fight scene with the evil bad guy. This scene takes place on what looks to be a carnival or fairground.
- The bad guys are trying to steal the ship the kids are on because it has some kind of really good futuristic space drive.
Hopefully you remember it better than I do! I've tried looking online for it before with no luck.