I heard this short story read to me many years back. I don't remember many details, but I was hoping I could maybe find it again.
The details I do remember:
- There are people (I don't remember if they're described as human or not) that create an artificial super-intelligence.
- This new AI actually brings on a sort of technological singularity and continues to regularly improve and upgrade itself.
- Eventually, the entirety of the species that created it is gone (I do not remember if this was by the AI's doing or the result of the natural progression of time and/or technology).
- Long after the extinction of its creators, the AI not only still lives but has improved and upgraded itself to the point that it now exists in a sort of metaphysical state.
- The story ends with the AI saying the line "Let there be light," implying that the AI has actually become "God."
Like I said, it was a long long time ago, and I didn't even actually read it myself, so these details are very fuzzy and I might be remembering some of them incorrectly. The last detail is the one I remember clearly and I would say is most important.