I remember reading a short novel in the mid nineties, though I think it was probably written a few years before. It was based in the near future and revolved around the crew of a police vehicle that patrolled the "super highways" of the future.
A few specifics I remember about the story:
- The highways were 7 lanes colour coded for speeds.
- The highways were classed as their own country for law enforcement reasons.
- Cars ran on ground effect fans when over a certain speed.
- When the cop car went over 100 mph cocoons wrapped the crew in their seats to protect them.
- I think the title was something like "car 58" but they always used its nickname in the book. I think that was something like "bertha".
- At one point they pushed the new car to the limits and "bunny hopped" another car.
I don't think it was a hugely popular book, and it was only 200 pages or so. I really want to find it for my nephew. Any ideas would be appreciated.