I am going deeper in Moorcock's mythology and I have developed a keen interest in the characters of both Elric of Melniboné and Corum, both Ethernal Champions.
They both seems to appear in the same Universe (as in a part of Moorcock's Multiverse), but it is unclear (to me at least) if they exists in the same Plane or if they are from somewhat connected Planes. I find this question to be related, but the answer not quite conclusive.
I understand that the Multiverse is a soft-magic environment, with rules that are unclear. However, we know some things:
- only one Ethernal Champion exists per Universe;
- this alone should exclude they both are part of the same Universe, however:
- Arioch (and his siblings) co-exists in both Corum and Elric - and yet;
- Corum banishes Arioch from the Fifteen Planes;
- Human exist in both contexts and the term mabden applies equally;
- I'm unsure about true canon, but I am sure Chaosium RPG manuals state Pantanagians call themselved mabden;
- I feel there are numerous humanoid species shared by both contexts: Myrrhyns came to mind immediately, although the term is never acknowledge in Corum's context afaik.
Is there a canonical source (Moorcock's own work) shining some light on their relationship? I know I should probably turn to The Vanishing Tower and The King of the Swords and I am actually reading the latter for help, yet I felt in the mean time I could also bring this up in the community as well.
The inner child in me hopes that Corum is set somewhere in the past of Elric.