The Hogwarts gamekeeper had many duties, including:
- Looking after the school's keys.
"True, I haven't introduced meself. Rubeus Hagrid, Keeper of Keys and Grounds at Hogwarts."
- Escorting first year students on the boats to the castle.
Hagrid, of course, was still fighting his way across the lake with the first years
- Tending to the gardens at Hogwarts.
In the small vegetable patch behind Hagrid's house
- performing "special tasks" for the Headmaster and Professors at the school.
Fer Dumbledore. Hogwarts business." Hagrid drew himself up proudly. "He usually gets me ter do important stuff fer him."
- Looking after magical beasts on the school grounds.
"Warm up, I think," said Madame Maxime. "But ze 'orses -"
"Our Care of Magical Creatures teacher will be delighted to take care
- Tending to matters in the Forbidden Forest.
There's a unicorn in there bin hurt badly by summat. This is the second time in a week. I found one dead last Wednesday. We're gonna try an' find the poor thing.
- Bringing the twelve Christmas trees into the Great Hall during December.
they found a large fir tree blocking the corridor ahead. Two enormous feet sticking out at the bottom and a loud puffing sound told them that Hagrid was behind it.
- Defrosting the school brooms during winter.
Hagrid could be seen from the upstairs windows defrosting broomsticks on the Quidditch field
- Making the pumpkins for the Hallowe'en feast.
In the small vegetable patch behind Hagrid's house were a dozen of the largest pumpkins Harry had ever seen. Each was the size of a large boulder.