There is a book I have fond memories for, but I can't remember many details and especially not the name of the series. I read it nearly 20 years ago when I was 8 or 9 I believe.
The details I do remember are shaky but are as follows.
- It was about a young boy (shocker)
- I believe he lived with his aunt until an old guy came that his aunt knew
- He could use magic and was taught by the old guy
- The magic was done by saying what you wanted to do. For example I remember a scene where he wanted to push a boulder and said that he wanted to fly or something but he didn't say he wanted to be braced and when he said it he was pushed into the ground instead.
- I remember there was a love interest later in the series.
- I remember something about an assassin after him I believe.
I know a lot of this might not be helpful or otherwise very generic fantasy tropes but if anyone recognizes the series I'd appreciate it greatly if you could tell me..
The books I know it's not is the Furies of Calderon/series by Jim Butcher or Dave Duncan's "A Man of His Word."