After the Avengers acquire time travel, they decide to go back in time and acquire all of the infinity stones. They choose to split up and go to several different places and times to get them.
Why not go back to a few seconds before Thanos snapped his fingers in Avengers: Infinity War?
There are a few advantages to going back to that moment.
- They know all of the stones are in the same place at the same time.
- They know the exact time and place.
- Thanos was weakened from Thor's strike to the chest.
- Thanos' minions are dead so they cannot defend him.
- Thanos' armies are not directly near him, so they cannot defend him either.
- They could have prevented the Snap.
If they went back in time to right after, they would not have prevented the Snap, but they would have found Thanos even weaker from his injuries of using the stones.
I'm looking for answers based on actual statements from characters in the Marvel Cinematic Universe rather than speculative answers.