Wookieepedia has again turned up empty. I know it's some kind of membrane thing that acts by expanding and contracting a hole. Does anyone know what it's called?

  • 1
    whatever it is, I hope it doesn't hit them on the way out
    – NKCampbell
    Aug 26, 2021 at 17:23

1 Answer 1


Are you looking for "hatch sphincter"? It's a semi-independent biot used to create a seal in another structure, IIRC. Quoting from New Jedi Order: The Unifying Force:

The five of them hurried down the angled ramp and through the slowly sealing breach the concussion missiles had blown in the thick hatch sphincter. The hideously torn membrane opened onto a vast, dimly lit cavern of yorik coral.

New Jedi Order: The Unifying Force, Chapter 37

But not all doors are independent biots; lots of building-type organisms have their own internal membranes that can act like doors, but which are part of the building itself. For example, quoting the description of a damutek:

Intruders that entered the giant plant had to contend with membranes that closed their pathways as well as a poisonous gas that was emitted by the structure-sized organism. Certain individuals, however, managed to gain entry by calling out the password when touching the door organisms.

(Emphasis mine)

  • That's starting to sound correct. I'm not completely convinced so I'll give it 24 more hours or so before accepting. I think hatch sphincter is what I'm looking for; whatever was used on the inside of the capital and world ships. I am a little worried that only 2 books were listed in the appearances section, so I may be looking for something else.
    – cat40
    Aug 26, 2021 at 18:45

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.