I read a book a few years back (probably 2-3, maybe 4,) and wanted to find it again. I cannot remember the cover, but I'm 90% sure I read it in paper back (not e-book, I know that for sure.) I think I got it from my high school library, but that might be wrong. I think was about 150-300 pages, maybe 400 at most.
Anyway, here's a bunch of the plot. If you've read this book, you should be able to tell what it is. (?) indicates possible inconsistency.
Plot as far as I can remember, mostly in order (I think):
- Starts with MC (I feel like his name was Richard or something that started with a P, but have no idea if that's right) buying a Corvette from a dealership. MC recites a few facts in his head about a Corvette (I know leg room was mentioned here.)
- I think at this point he calls his mom to tell her about his purchase. She pretends not to know what it is, and they talk a bit.
- Ends up going to a diner and getting a burger. Considers flirting with the waitress but decides not to.- May or may not get home, I forget what happened here. Might be a bit of stuff I'm forgetting.
- Car starts acting up, something weird in the engine.
- Crashes. How I forget.
- Gets out of car and car is on fire(?). Fire monster thing crawls out of the engine and sort of charges? off the flames.
- Another man from another car comes down to check what happened and if he's okay. MC runs, and good samaritan man dies or gets taken over by fire monster (can't remember which).
- Somehow ends up with waitress lady and her dog running from fire monster/man.
- I think another crash and they switch cars. I remember a quote something like 'you hotwired a car in three seconds while getting in?' appears somewhere, although that might be after the boat.
- Hijack boat and head onto body of water, can't remember what kind.
- Fire monster gets aboard. MC steers while waitress lights some fuel barrels to occupy fire monster while they get to shore.
- Meet waitresses' butler? Might steal another car at this point.
- Meet waitresses' mom, who talks to her late husband through the tonight show.
- Something, I think. Then they head to MC's mom's friend, who is somehow responsible for the fire monster.
- By putting a bit of her blood on each of them, they all hide from the fire monster.
- MC and waitress and dog leave. Waitress revealed to be alien enhanced human. Dog is also enhanced (or is alien?) which explains a few things that MC thought was weird.
- MC and waitress get married. Something about Animal Planet. End story.
Anybody got ideas? I'm a bit stuck.