I would like to identify a young-adult SF novel I read in the early-mid 1990s. My fragmentary memories are:
- I think the protags were children (probably two children, maybe boy and girl).
- They were in some kind of post-apocalyptic future.
- They were, I think, initially in a buried library or something, before they got out.
- There was a pretty mysterious hint of some kind of "monster", not an evil bad thing, but rather a creature that was just there -- this is mainly why the memory intrigues me.
- When they went out into the devastated real world, they found a sign that spelled ELECTRICITY but with some letters missing. There was a scene with the protags wondering "what does TRITY mean?" or some such.
First post here but I have loved sci-fi all my life. Thanks.