I have been struggling with trying to come up with this movie name for a while now, but being in the middle of a pandemic has made it next to impossible to google for "virus" related things that are non-covid.
Things my memory is pretty solid on:
- The main plot follows a group of researchers trying to discover the cure to a virus/disease that had not been seen or studied before.
- while trying to identify something related to the virus (either the virus itself or a container related to it? this I am fuzzy on) they discover that it is strangely patterned or geometric.
- One of the researchers is able to decode the virus to reveal a message from the future
Things I think are correct but might be wrong on
- The message in the virus is how to cure it, or a similar virus. People in the future sent the virus back in time so that a cure could be developed before it spread to far. It is possible that the virus nearly wiped out humans in the other timeline.
- There may have been space travel/space stations involved, I seem to remember some sort of suits with self contained air supplies. I am unsure if it was space related or just your normal bio-hazard suit.
- The virus may have come from space, or from some sort of container.
- For whatever reason I think of the word Andromeda being related to this movie, but maybe it was just a callback to the Crichton book/movie since aside from the researchers and virus the other points don't line up.
- I saw the movie on North American television sometime between 2005-2010.
- From what I can remember of style, it was probably a medium to large budget Hollywood movie probably shot sometime between late 80s to early 2000s
- Movie was in English, I believe it mostly took part in the states but this might be wrong.
And just to narrow things down a bit further from my own (fruitless) searching, the movie I am thinking of is not 12 Monkeys, The Andromeda Strain (1971 movie), Contagion.