I realized upon a recent watching of TNG that I cannot recall any suggestion that anyone works for Data.
This is quite odd for the following reasons:
- It is very clear that Picard, Riker, LaForge, Worf, and Crusher all have direct reports. Even in the case Troi, who might be considered unique, I am pretty sure there at some point is some offhand remark that she tells someone to make an appointment with some other therapist.
- Data is the highest-ranking officer on the ship, after Picard and Riker.
- Data leads Operations. This is not some minor department, and presumably needs at least a few dozen officers. Even if we posit that Data can handle Ops alone (iffy), it wouldn't make sense for the Enteprise to lack a department that other ships need, if only because it would fail to train new officers. Plus, obviously someone needs to take over when Data is indisposed, away, broken, or dead.
- Data often leads Science missions and these canonically do have other subdepartments with officers.
- This could have been an interesting area for interpersonal plotlines, etc.
So: Does Data have any direct reports?
And assuming not, do we have any behind-the-scene information on whether this was merely an oversight or whether it was a deliberate decision on the part of the writers?