I'm trying to find the name of a book I read a couple of years ago. I think it was pretty new at the time (mentioning mobile phones.) Here's what I can remember:
- Portals/"doors" are common, owned by a single corporation who provides a network around the globe.
- The portals are created via quantum entanglement, and can be "threaded" through one another during creation to make bigger and bigger portals "on site."
- The protagonist near the start of the book is part of an emergency response team which cleverly uses these portals to avert a disaster.
- Rich people have these doors from their homes to fancy rooms/domes on the moon.
- Some portals have been sent to "tap" the sun, which is used as "free" energy.
- Other portals have been sent out to mine asteroids.
IIRC all of this was set in "modern times," so I don't think it is the Commonwealth saga books by Peter Hamilton. For example, I have no recollection of anything to do with Mars.