I'm trying to find a novel I read as a kid.
Key things I remember about the book:
- I found it at a library ~15 years ago.
- I believe it was a dark/horror fantasy.
- It may have been set in a tabletop role-playing game setting (like Forgotten Realms, or one of those), as I read a lot of those.
The main thing I remember was a particular enemy:
- They were some kind of spellcaster trapped at the bottom of a well or pit.
- They were incredibly powerful, and capable of immense destruction with only a word.
- The magic of the pit kept them from casting spells.
- Their attempts to escape were a key part of the plot.
- At one point, the magic of the pit began to weaken, and they began sending up evolving constructs that, if left unchecked, would gain the ability to cast spells and free the enemy.
Thanks for the help.