TV series in 70s - 80s about a beautiful lady ghost living in a big old house or castle.

The male lead is a young artist or something. He found the old house and moved in for free (or for a very low price). The lady ghost is always wearing the same long elegant dress. Being a ghost, she can go straight through walls.

The young man has no idea for quite a while that the lady is a ghost. He falls in love with the ghost lady. The lady has some magic power and loves to help others.

Sadly I don't know what language it was in. Because it had been translated all into Chinese. And I am one hundred percent sure it was not a movie. Now many people in Shanghai remember the show. But the Chinese version can not be found anymore.

  • 1
    Do you remember what country, or what TV network, broadcast the series? What language was it in? Jun 28, 2022 at 19:31
  • 1
    Similar basis to "The ghost and Mrs Muir" which has a 1968-1969 TV series based on a 1947 film. Not an answer because the ghost is a man and the live person is a lady.
    – AdrianHHH
    Jul 1, 2022 at 11:04
  • Vaguely similar to The Ghosts of Motley Hall - but it's a long shot.
    – AJM
    Jul 1, 2022 at 17:39
  • Maybe an episode of Rentaghost?
    – AJM
    Jul 1, 2022 at 17:44
  • If it was a film and not a TV show, maybe High Spirits? (youtube.com/watch?v=tTf25FJdGYI)
    – AJM
    Jul 1, 2022 at 18:21

1 Answer 1


Jennifer Slept Here aired in 1983, lasted just one season on NBC, and somewhat matches your description.

I watched a few episodes when I was a kid only because of Ann Jillian. It wasn't a great show otherwise. Episodes are on YouTube.

From IMDB:

The Elliots are a rich family that has just moved into the home of the late screen legend Jennifer Farrell. But Jennifer is still around... as a ghost that only their son Joey can see.

Opening credits

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.