I am trying to identify a book that I read in the mid 1980's. Some details:
- It was a graphic novel, or comic. All black and white, if I remember correctly.
- The main character was a human, though I believe all of the other characters were anthropomorphized animals. There was a cat-woman who acts as a kind of mentor/mother to the main character, along with some varied animal "children".
- I believe the main character's name was Phaedrus, or a variation of this.
- The main character flies a spaceship shaped like a falcon, and arrives on the animal planet as a stranger, looking for something specific that I can't remember.
- There is a metal sphere that, when opened, has a simple pattern inside: a single concentric circle with a cross extending through it to the edges of the sphere.
- There is a human-sized earthworm that appears in the background of panels early in the story, but becomes a vital part of the story later on, eventually merging with the main character.
It's incredible that despite all of these details, I can't seem to find anything via Google. I've even gone so far to return to the library that I remember checking it out from as a child, but they no longer have the book.
Thank you for your help, this has been bugging me for years now.