Has any Fantastic Beasts character ever been mentioned in the Harry Potter movies? (Besides Newt, the Dumbledores and Grindelwald)
Lots! It'll probably be a long list. Nicholas Flamel comes to mind immediately.– TurboJan 27 at 16:29
3This question is on topic. It's not an infinite list and it may not be as long as you think. See How many characters in 'Solo: A Star Wars Story' also appear in other Star Wars canon? for comparison.– LaurelJan 27 at 17:08
1Minerva McGonagall, Nagini, Nicholas Flamel and the four you've already mentioned.– ibidJan 27 at 17:57
1Merlin gets mentioned in both (or at least his beard)– ValorumJan 29 at 15:25
Characters You Didn't Mention
- Nagini (a Maledictus in Fantastic Beasts -- a snake in Harry Potter)
- Nicolas Flamel (creator of the sorcerer's stone in both, but only appears as a name in Harry Potter)
- Minerva McGonagall (student in Fantastic Beasts -- Professor at Hogwarts in Harry Potter)
Ones That You Mentioned
- Albus Dumbledore (teaches Defense Against Dark Arts in Fantastic Beasts -- Headmaster of Hogwarts in Harry Potter)
- Aberforth Dumbledore (younger brother of Albus, tavern keeper of the Hog's Head in Hogsmeade)
- Arianna Dumbledore (younger sister of Albus and Aberforth -- dead in both)
- Gellert Grindelwald (1st place Dark wizard in Fantastic beasts -- 2nd place Dark wizard in Harry Potter )
- Newt Scamander (one of the main characters going against Grindelwald in Fantastic Beasts -- author of Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them in Harry Potter)
Taking into account all three Fantastic Beasts films, 7 of the named characters pre-exist the films;
- Newt Scamander - First mentioned in Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
- Prof. Albus Dumbledore - First mentioned in Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
- Prof. Minerva McGonagoll - First mentioned in Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
- Gellert Grindelwald - First mentioned in Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
- Nicholas Flamel - First mentioned in Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
- Aberforth Dumbledore - First mentioned in Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
- Nagini - First mentioned in Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Newt doesn't appear in the respective film of the same name, but he does makes a cameo appearance in Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban on the Marauder's Map.
- Prof. Dumbledore, McGonagoll, Grindlewald, Flamel
These characters are mentioned by name in the opening acts of the first film
Dumbledore: I should have known that you would be here...Professor McGonagall.
Ron: 'Dumbledore is particularly famous for his defeat of the Dark" Wizard Grindelwald in 1945–'
Harry: Go on.
Ron: '-for his discovery of the 12 uses of Dragon Blood, and his work on alchemy with his partner Nicolas Flamel!'
Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Dumbledore's brother doesn't get a mention in the films until Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix where he is shown in a group picture of the titular order.
Seen in the opening scene of Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Wait where did Nagini show up in Fantastic Beasts? Jan 29 at 3:47
1Oh wow!!! She was the lady that transformed into the snake...did they call her by name? Now I have to rewatch. Jan 29 at 4:28
1@MichaelBrown - Credence calls her by name.– ValorumJan 29 at 8:21