I've been trying to track down a sci-fi book/novel I read between 1994 and 2000. I checked it out from the dual-purpose high school / public library in my area. I could swear the title of the book was something like "Into the Breach," but there are a ton of books with this title or sub-title. It is probably military sci-fi, but way back then I would not have thought that.
Some things I think I remember:
- The story is mostly set on a ship with faster than light travel capability
- The ship's weapons are artillery/shell based
- There is one alien (non-human) in the story, that shows up part way through
- Most of the story takes place on a planet in a nebula/gas cloud
- The cover of the book had a lot of yellow and featured a ship in front of a star
I'm pretty sure this book was a part in at least a two part series.
The following google search does not return what I want:
"into the breach" scifi novel -"empire rising" -republic -galaxy -cheek -game