I think it was in a compilation, likely within the last 10 years or so.
- The narrator is a scout who has returned to Earth, wearing all sorts of protective gear.
- He (?) lands and hides in the bushes and sees not a wasteland but a nice, thriving society.
- A person approaches, he passes out (or is tased for his protection).
- He wakes up in bed, scared, confused.
- The person explains he isn't the first scout.
- We learn that when the rich left the Earth, the people left behind figured out how to rebuild.
- He is conflicted, because if he goes back, he will receive some sort of status. But through his talking, he realizes that he's been duped his whole life.
- I want to say that the status the scout gets would be having a physical body. In the craft where the people who left are, only the elite get to have a body. I'm a bit blurry on that, though.