Looking at this picture, you can see the particles I'm asking about:

View from inside a replicator as Capt. Janeway watches it create a mug of something.

  • 6
    That's no particle, that's Chakotay! Nov 6, 2023 at 16:21
  • 3
    "High-tech wizzbangery"
    – FreeMan
    Nov 6, 2023 at 17:08
  • 3
    Those are "sparkles" according to various scripts. I don't know if that's a technical term though...
    – Valorum
    Nov 6, 2023 at 17:22
  • 2
    Sometimes, it looks like particles. Sometimes, it looks like a series of circles or lines around whoever or whatever's being beamed. Point is, the effect changes from time to time, and more often than not, it doesn't look like there are any particles involved. Nov 6, 2023 at 17:54
  • 2
    Reading Rainbow begind the scenes on TNG. Sparkles at 10min mark. youtu.be/uIRz_qpgD-0?si=qOPEh4sTAg93E7BM also I misspoke a bit on tech manual reference. Dispersion isn't super relevant and it's a mean thing to do to someone - but it's essentially the same process in a proper transport or replicator. Nov 6, 2023 at 19:04

1 Answer 1


The best reference is "Realm of Fear" (S06E02). It features transporter tech many times and includes inside-out transport views.

Barclay refers to the visible particles as "phased matter" within the matter stream.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.