About 20 years ago I remember reading a book about a race a feline people with four arms that were fighter pilots living on a carrier. I believe they were created by humans. They were trying to find Earth, which had become a myth. The book kind of reminded me of Battlestar Galactica. Anyone have an idea what book this was? I believe it was part of a series.
The timeframe is right (published in 1988) and the most of the details match
- Books are about a race of people called "Starwolves" or "Kelvessan"
- They have 4 arms, iron bones & electrical nervous system
- Live on large carrier ships & fly small fighters
- Created by an alien race for human Terran republic to defend against (human) Union
- Lost location of Earth/Terra thousands of years ago & are have been searching for it since
Only part that doesn't exactly match is that they are not explicitly described as feline . However their appearance could be considered feline like - outsized eyes, large & pointed ears, small nose, slight stature, shaggy/soft hair.
There is a chess match where the protagonist starwolf, having never played the game before, defeats a human easily using unconventional moves. There is also at least one scene where the starwolves fly their fighters under an ocean by reshaping their atmospheric shield into a needle shape.