I remember almost all of the story details except the name and author! Here are some bigger points:
- I believe it's an older story – between the 60s-70s.
- People in this future are encouraged to group-think. Doing something individually is considered dangerous and punished by death or exile.
- The hero works in the cleaning class of people and is in love with a woman who works in the agriculture class. They aren't allowed to speak so he loves her from afar.
- He presents his findings of electricity to his people's council expecting them to be as excited about it's potential as he is, but instead is pursued with the intent of a death sentence. He runs into the wilderness to escape them; this is huge because his society acts as though the world doesn't exist past the wilderness.
- The girl he is in love with follows him and they travel through the wilderness together.
- They find an old abandoned neighborhood and live in a large house together beginning their own paradise.
- Title might have something to do with the word “Paradise” or “Eden”.