This is a tough one. I'm trying to identify a Sci-Fi movie I saw at least a decade ago. I only remember fragments, and some points might be false, but I hope it's still possible.
- From the late '80s, or '90s
- It plays on a world that is separated in dark and light, possibly because the planet is tidally locked. People can only live in the dark, either on the dark side or underground.
- The darkness is driving people crazy. I remember clearly that at one point, someone loses it and goes into the light. He burns immediately to ashes.
- There's a guy who smuggles people from A to B (probably off the planet, or to a safe spot in the light)
- There are illegal / contraband "postcards" that people are trading. Some people seem addicted to them. They could be pictures of the world before whatever catastrophe happened to it, showing sunny beaches etc... But for all I know, they could have just been pictures of pin up girls :-)
- I think the move was called something like "Half Earth", but I can't find anything under that name.
It was not White Dwarf, and it was not Dark City, although it was similar in mood to Dark City. It had a weird B-movie vibe, a bit like Millenium or other Sci-Fi films of the late 80s. I hope this rings a bell with someone.