While waiting to get onto a computer booked at the local library about 2 years ago, I picked up a sci-fi novel whose name and author I cannot recall and began reading.
Elements of the opening part of the book that I can recall.
- A small squadron is trying to penetrate the defenses of an enemy power.
- It is mentioned they are traveling at an altitude of NN mm (which seemed odd at the time)
- They are swamped by autonomous flying defenders that hone in on the approaching craft and attack them (mostly by physically disassembling them in-flight).
- The pilots have a conversation in which it is revealed that this is not the first time they've attacked, and the defenses have improved over time.
- As each of the attacking craft are swamped the situation becomes more hopeless, until the last of the attackers is destroyed.
- It then turns out the pilots of the attack vehicles were at a far distant point, remotely operating micro/nano-machines..
That was mostly in the first chapter, as far as I read. I'd guess it was written within the last 10 years (15 at the outside).
Can anyone identify this book & author?