I remember reading this at my local library whilst I waited for my brother. I think it was in a book with a few other short stories.
What I can remember:
- Some sort of mesh/net/grid shaped satellite orbiting earth, and it was malfunctioning. I'm pretty sure it was a communication satellite of some form.
- It has two protagonists in their teens. I don't know how or why they were in space, but they were.
- They fix the satellite against some guy's orders to stay away from it.
- I think they 'live' in space, i.e. they haven't come for a trip from Earth, they actually live on a space station nearby the mesh (I remember this because they travel to it from wherever they are).
- There were some bad guy(s) causing the malfunction.
It was a pretty worn book, so I'm thinking it was written earlier than the 90s (I read it in 98/99).