I read this post about the Ringworld series, but am curious about the main influences. I just started reading the Forever War and am reminded a lot about Halo; also, I read once that Starship Troopers was a big influence. Did either of these influence the original Halo plot? What were the main influences?
According to the wiki entry for Halo:
- Ringworld (Niven) and the Culture Series (Iain Banks, particularly Consider Phlebias and Excession) gave rise to the ringworld concept
- Armor (John Steakley) - Sense of hopelessness by fighting the same war again and again
- The Vang (Christopher Rowley) - The engulfing alien incursion, basis for The Flood. (Possibly also influenced the name of the Master Chief)
- Speculation that the SPARTAN program and design of the Covenant drones was influenced by Ender's Game (Orson Scott Card)
- Bungie has acknowledged the film Aliens (James Cameron) as a cinematic influence
Also, a report by Roger Travis published in The Escapist compares the Halo series with the Latin epic Aenid by Virgil.