My only experience with comic books has been reading Watchmen and Y: The Last Man. I want to get into the Marvel Universe starting with the Guardians of the Galaxy; what is a good place to start and is there a suggested reading order for Marvel comics? Also, where would you recommend I buy comics from?
I would suggest starting with the Annihilation: Conquest series along with prologues and tie-ins. Then moving onto Guardians of the Galaxy volume 3 which is bringing the series into the Marvel NOW! universe and will most likely be what future issues cover.
This series covers how the new Guardians became acquainted. If you want to just get the story for members of the Guardians team you can skip the Wraith and Nova tie-ins. http://marvel.com/comics/events/293/annihilation_conquest
Guardians Vol. 2
Moving on to the second volume of Guardians of the Galaxy. The first volume covers the original Guardians from 1990 (which is still a good read and does come into play somewhat!) But not essential. http://marvel.wikia.com/Guardians_of_the_Galaxy_Vol_2_1
Halfway through this volume the War of Kings starts which, like Annihilation: Conquest, has its own set of tie ins. http://marvel.com/comics/events/276/war_of_kings
Finally, the end of volume two introduces the new collection of comics called "The Thanos Imperative" which provides a conclusion for the team as a whole.
Annihilators/Rocket and Groot
One final tie-in! This one covers the aftermath of the Thanos Imperative, it's a split up comic with two different stories. The Rocket and Groot side of things builds off of Rocket Raccoon originals from 1985, not essential, but still fun to read. The Annihilators a team formed in the wake The Thanos Imperative.
Here's the newest of the Guardians that is actually on-going. Marvel set it up to be a starting point for new readers as well as old. It's more connected with the Earth Heroes with Iron Man joining the team. I'm enjoying it so far, but I'm stil a huge advocate for starting with Volume 2. http://marvel.wikia.com/Guardians_of_the_Galaxy_Vol_3_1
Marvel Comics coincidentally just sent out a newsletter listing their suggested reading/purchase list to get into the current version of Guardians of the Galaxy.
- Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 1: Cosmic Avengers. (collects Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 #0.1, #1-3; Guardians of the Galaxy: Tomorrow's Avengers #1)
- Guardians of the Galaxy Infinite Comic #1 (Features Drax)
- Guardians of the Galaxy Infinite Comic #2 (Features Rocket Raccoon)
- Guardians of the Galaxy Infinite Comic #3 (Features Gamora)
- Guardians of the Galaxy Infinite Comic #4 (Features Groot)
- Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 2: Angela (collects Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 #4-10)
- Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 1: Legacy (collects Guardians of the Galaxy (vol. 2) #1-6)
- Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 2: War of Kings Book 1 (collects Guardians of the Galaxy (vol. 2) #7-12)
- Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 3: War of Kings Book 2 (collects Guardians of the Galaxy (vol. 2) #13-19 and Marvel Spotlight: War of Kings)
- Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 4: Realm Of Kings (collects Guardians of the Galaxy (vol. 2) #20-25)
It should be noted that I reproduced the list as Marvel posted it, but it stands to reason that Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 2: Cosmic Avengers and Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 2: Angela should actually both come after Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 4: Realm of the Kings (Cosmic Avengers and Angela are "Volume 3" of tGotG, while the others are all from "Volume 2")