I started watching Stargate SG1 and I noticed something odd:
The Stargate starts spinning, they say incoming wormhole and right away after this they receive the identification code from SG1 to open the iris.
How can this code be received before the connection is created?
I looked it up, it at least happened in S01E08 Cold Lazarus. In the middle of the episode there is an offworld-activation, everyone is running into the control room and they have this conversation while the chevrons are still encoding:
- Sam: "Where's the iris?"
- Hammond: "Someone used a remote."
- Daniel: "But who? We're all here."
- Hammond: "Well, whoever it is has our codes."
And only during the last sentence you hear and see the wormhole opening. So clearly the signal was sent before the wormhole was opened.
Another occurance is right in the beginning of S02E08. You hear the Stargate activating, and there's this conversation:
- Woman: "Unscheduled incoming traveler."
- Hammond: "There's no one scheduled to return. Did you get an iris code?"
- Woman: "Yes Sir, we did. From SG-1."
Right after this you hear the wormhole opening.