I'm looking for the name of a Book series. The details of the books are as follows:
- It was about a young man who was the son of the emperor by a concubine.
- He was like 250th in line to the throne.
- There was some conspiracy against his father and an attempt to take over the empire.
- He traveled all the lands and the map looked a bit like the Mediterranean.
- In the end the emperor and his family are killed and the main character becomes emperor.
- I read it in the 80's.
- the whole series was maybe a half-dozen thin(ish) books - not Tolkien sized (or Jordan or Martin for sure),
- It was not for little kids; I was in my middle school library so about that level.
What is the name of these series of books?