I'm trying to search back up a short story that I read on the web. It's about a boy who discovers a cube, and when he picks it up, strange things happen.
- Things randomly transform into other things, and people slowly start vanishing or transforming into objects.
- The boy is the only one unaffected, and soon the town becomes unrecognisably surrealist.
- One scene in particular involves the boy warning a girl not to ever touch the cube, which she obeys for a long time. Unfortunately, the boy returns home one day to find the girl missing, and a doll with her exact features lying next to the cube.
- Secret agents from the state arrive, and they take away the boy from his family and perform psychological tests on him for years.
- The opening scene was the front lawn/garden of the boy's house, and there was this line that kinda went "The box was just suddenly there" on the grass/path.
- There was some kind of town gathering going on (maybe a carnival or a garage sale) and the incidents started affecting the neighbours a little while after the boy picked up the cube.
I forgot what happens after that, but I remember that the ending scene is that
the boy ends up in a small boxed space, and above him, another young boy peers down (hence looping the entire story).
Any help would be appreciated!