I know the title question for this is somewhat vague, so I apologize for that in advance, but I'm looking for the name of a fairy tale/legend that I saw on TV probably close to 30 years ago (circa 1980-ish). Here's the basic upshot:
- I was young, somewhere between four and ten. I'm pretty sure it aired on our local PBS channel as part of their typical daytime educational TV and the only reason I saw it was because I was home from school with an illness.
- I remember it looking like a drama that took place during the American colonial period.
- The legend revolved around a young, good-looking man who made a deal with the devil to make him rich, possibly with a purse of gold that is never empty.
- The bargain hinged on the typical "the devil gets your soul" deal.
- I think the "get out of Hell free card" in the bargain was that if the young man could get a woman to agree to marry him within a certain amount of time (I can't recall how long - I seem to remember it being several years) he would be off the hook for losing his soul. I could be mis-remembering this detail, though.
- The catch to the bargain was that he could not bathe, groom, clean himself, or change his clothes during that certain amount of time, so he ended up looking pretty nasty. He also couldn't tell anyone about his deal with the devil.
- I remember the hook for the young man getting married was that he saved the life of a local land-owner who had some daughters (I think there were three of them) and in return for saving the land-owner's life he was promised one of the daughters as a bride. The elder daughters shunned him because of his disgusting appearance but the youngest daughter grudgingly accepted her fate. The young man breaks a gold ring in half (possibly bites it in half) and leaves half with her, telling her he will be back for her in the future (possibly at midsummer or some other significant date on the calendar) and she will know it is him because he will have the other half of the ring.
- The part that really sticks with me came after he got the promise from the daughter to marry him. He goes back to the devil to prove that he completed his end of the bargain. The devil agrees that he has been bested and tries to leave. The young man stops him and tells him that since it was this bargain that made him this dirty that the devil will make him clean again. This kicked off a montage of the devil "cleaning" the man: peeling his now-nearly-attached-to-his-skin clothing off him, bathing him, cutting his hair and nails, etc.
- The young man, now cleaned, groomed, and dressed in finery, returns to the land-owner to claim his bride (possibly during a party the land-owner is throwing). None of them recognize him in his now-clean form. The land-owner's elder daughters, smitten by the young man's good looks, throw themselves at the young man. The young man is amused by this and plays along until the point where he reveals himself to the youngest daughter by providing her with the other half of the ring that he left with her. I think he drops it in her glass of wine.
My Google-fu thus far has failed me. Can anyone point me in the direction of a title for this movie/tale?