I understand that, in seasons 1 and 2, Oliver had the resources of his crazy-rich family and Queen Consolidated. However, as of season 3:
- He doesn't have any access to QC resources (Except what Felicity can hack into)
- He doesn't own The Foundry
- Despite the fact that his family was exceptionally rich, he now has essentially no non-Arrow-related assets. I initially didn't believe this, because you'd think his family would have had investments in things that weren't Queen Consolidated, but this was confirmed in season 3, episode 4; Oliver is broke
The only member of his entourage who seems to have a full-time job is Felicity, who worked part-time at a consumer electronics retailer until early in season 3. So they're not floating him any money.
Despite this lack of apparent funds:
- He's always showered, relatively clean-shaven, with clean and pressed clothes
- He seems to have an unlimited supply of arrows, both for himself and Roy
- He could afford a whole costume for Roy
- He's keeping the electricity on in The Foundry
- He can fly himself, Roy, and Diggle on a round trip to Corto Maltese (Admittedly in economy class, but still), and bring Thea back with them
- He can afford to keep the Arrow-cycle fuelled up and in good repair, despite the fact that he does not play nicely with his toys
On a related note, where does he live? I could accept that he sleeps at The Foundry, he's done that before, but does the abandoned nightclub most recently owned by his most sworn enemy have bathing facilities? On-site laundry?
I realize it's entirely possible that this hasn't been answered, but I'm still curious: how exactly does he pay for all of this? Have there been any indications from cast or crew in non-televised media (Interviews, Twitter, Reddit AMAs) to suggest an answer?
I'm not interested in out-of-universe answers. I know that "Oliver Queen: vigilante badass by night, wage slave by day" doesn't make for the most exciting superhero story. I'm much more interested in in-universe answers, even if the only answer is James Sheridan's
EDIT: Season 3, Episode 5 ("The Secret Origin of Felicity Smoak") raises more questions:
Thea asks that Oliver move in with her, simultaneously indicating that she knows he's broke and that his living situation is less than ideal. He's clearly not living at the Mansion (The season 2 finale clearly shows him leaving the place empty and abandoned), and Thea presumably knows this. So where does she think he's living?