And before anyone says it, no, I'm not talking about The Last Starfighter. But it is a fair amount like that.
All I remember is the beginning, which goes something like this.
- Boy finds an arcade game at some restaurant or something he visits.
- He learns that you basically automatically lose the game when you press a button that fires your weapon, since a bunch of other ships will show up and destroy you.
- It turns out some aliens are using the arcade game to find a new pilot (they may have lost theirs).
- The no-weapons rule was because if you shot at other ships some equivalent of the space police would show up and arrest or destroy you.
- Protagonist maintains the best score for a while, and the aliens reveal themselves after he beats the game.
No clue what happens after that. It may have had pictures, but I could be remembering incorrectly.