I'm trying to identify a sci-fi movie I saw in the late 80's to early 90's, for some reason I want to say it was on Cinemax.
The highlights I can recall:
- The story focused on passengers on a large starship;
- Opening of the film was some type of facility or star port that featured a massive dome that was opening to either allow a ship/shuttle to land or launch (not positive about this, I just recall early in the film some time of massive dome opening up and passengers all gathering there);
- Ship was mostly automated, only crew were a mother and a son who survived in isolated environments (immunologically compromised or somehow modified so they couldn't be around normal humans);
- At one point the crew-son is in a sealed suit/pod and is helping a female passenger in a space suit travel along scaffolding;
- The crew-son is protecting/helping the passengers against his mother.
For some reason it reminded me of The Ship Who Sang series, except that it's a movie.