I'm having a hard time finding the name of a science fiction saga (I think the work spanned several books) that I read about a year ago on Wikipedia. Despite furious googling I have not been able to hit the correct story. I remember some plot points from a synopsis, and they are listed below. The following may contain spoilers.
- There are several intelligent civilizations, one of them human.
- There are at least two civilizations scoring really high on the Kardashev scale. Both of these species inhabit stars and are at war because one species needs red dwarfs and the other black holes or something similar.
- One of these mega-species is also at war with the humans, and their battles and tactics include time travel.
- The economy of the human civilization relies largely on the war effort, and at some point the ending of the war bankrupts Earth.
- EDIT: Additional fact came to mind: One of the mega-species might have evolved only moments after the big bang, making it ancient.
Do any of these plot points ring a bell?