During Guardians of the Galaxy, we see a few people hold the stone, with varying amounts of success.
- Eson the Searcher: The celestial wields it to destroy entire planets.
- Unknown group of 8 or 9: Able to hold it for a "moment" before being destroyed by it
- Carina, the slave girl: immediately destroyed by the Stone
- Ronan: Able to hold the the stone for a period before inserting it into his hammer
- Peter Quill: able to hold the stone for a period, but the Stone does begin destroying him
- Peter + Gamora: delays destruction of holders
- Peter + Gamora + Rocket + Drax: able to hold the stone for a time before wielding its power to destroy Ronan Peter stores it in the containment orb.
It is revealed that Peter
is only half-Terran, which may or may not contribute to how long he was able to hold the Stone without being destroyed.
What factor(s) affect how quickly someone is destroyed by the Power Stone? Is it an issue of brute strength? Willpower? Something else?
Possible mitigating factors: Eson and Ronan primarily wield the stone within other weapons. Does the stone have less of a destructive effect to the wielder if it's not directly held?