I'm trying to identify a live-action movie from the 80s or 90s, but I don't have much to go on. It only barely fits into the sci-fi genre, but is probably classified as drama. Here's what I remember:
- A young man (high school age, maybe?) is a promising piano player but has both hands cut off in a vicious attack, perhaps a home invasion.
- Afterwards, the protagonist is severely depressed, even after he ends up getting experimental robotic prosthetic hands that resemble robot gauntlets.
- The protagonist ends up leaving home and becomes the keyboardist in a rave band
- While on stage, the protagonist wears a full suit that makes him look like a robot, thus hiding his robotic hands as part of the suit
- Near the end of the film, the protagonist sees his attackers (who were never caught) at a concert and points them out to his estranged father, who I think is a cop.
The replacement hands have a very mechanical look to them, similar to the prosthetics seen in Starship Troopers (below for reference), only more streamlined & gritty... more Borg-like. And the guy's full suit was made to match. Think Cyrax or Sektor from Mortal Kombat.