I read a sci fi book about 12-13 years ago and I think it was fairly new at the time, I would like to find it again but I can't for the life of me remember the title or the author. Trying to google the the story of the book doesn't get me much either. From what I remember this is the basic premise of the book
- The hero is an ex soldier who has been taught some sort of powers by a race of aliens
- Said race of aliens have disappeared, possibly ascended to a higher state of existence. Except for the alien that taught the hero in the first place
- Humans and the aliens might have been allies at some stage
- Some mysterious force is threatening the universe and it's something like an ancient enemy of the alien race
- The hero has some sort of stone or device left behind by the alien race that allows him to develop his powers by meditating
That's all I have. It has I remember it as being quite action packed as well. I know it's very vague but if it rings a bell with anyone I'd be delighted.
Edited 05/05 While Zimul8r's answer of the Lensman series ticks all the boxes as far as the plot points I can remember, it is not the book I'm looking for. I think this was a standalone book as far as I can remember. Oh, and because I was reading mainly fantasy novels at the time there's quite a high likelihood that I picked this up because I recognized the author from some fantasy novel.