I remember watching this on TV in the United Kingdom in the late 1970s or early 1980s. I only saw one episode, and the ending resolved very little, leading me to believe that it was a pilot for a TV series that ended up not being made as opposed to a made for TV movie.
It was live action, but the non-human characters were puppets or animatronics, not actors in costumes. The main characters were the goofy looking alien robot crew of a spacecraft - their design was vaguely similar to the robots from the Cadbury's Smash advertising campaign.
Some other details that I remember:
- One of the aliens was named "Gadget".
- Another one of the aliens had black armour; his character description in the TV guide's advertisement for the show had the comment "talks as black as he looks".
- Everything in the Universe was made of matter, "don't matter", or a mixture of matter and don't matter called "Kleptonite" (not 100% sure about that name).
- The spacecraft was towing a ball of Kleptonite behind it in a crate.
- The Kleptonite ball was lost and fell to Earth.
- According to the aliens, Earth was made of "don't matter".
- One of the humans who found the Kleptonite Ball was into fortune telling and mistook it for a crystal ball.