It seems like most superheros are either born that way (Superman, Wonder Woman, Aquaman and Ancient Mariner, for example), or are made into a superhero without their consent (Fantastic Four, Hulk, Green Lantern and Spiderman, for example). Many of the born superheros are outsiders living in human society and trying to make good (like the X-Men and the others I listed earlier).
I've found five exceptions, but, except for one, those seem created by outside influences:
- Batman (but he has serious issues and it springs from the trauma of his parents' murder)
- Ironman (but he had no choice to have to put the power source in his chest and it seems circumstances kept him going as a superhero)
- M.A.N.T.I.S (from the TV series) (He makes the exo-skeleton on his own, but is still driven by a need for revenge on the bad guys)
- Captain America (he volunteered for the experiment, but had no idea what it would do to him)
- Green Arrow (who seems the only superhero by choice that I can find)
Other than the Green Arrow, are there any superheros that basically looked around, decided, "I want to do something to help, and I have the money or ability to do it!" ? Even the ones I listed above who made a choice to be a superhero seem to have been driving.
Are there any others besides Green Arrow who are superheros by choice?
(I'm not asking for a long list, so please don't get upset and say it's a list question. Just an example or two will prove to me Green Arrow isn't a fluke.)