Use this tag when asking for the in-universe chronological order of published works in the same sci-fi/fantasy series or fictional universe. To ask for suggestions on the best reading or viewing order, which may not be the same as the chronological order, use the [suggested-order] tag instead.
Chronological (time) order can be either:
- Out-of-universe (i.e. the dates the works were created or released)
- In-universe (the order that events occurred within the fictional universe)
This tag is for requesting the chronological order of works that are set in the same fictional universe. To request a suggested reading or viewing order instead, use the tag suggested-order.
Examples of ordering works, using the first six Star Wars films:
- IV – A New Hope (1977)
- V – The Empire Strikes Back (1980)
- VI – Return of the Jedi (1983)
- I – The Phantom Menace (1999)
- II – Attack of the Clones (2002)
- III – Revenge of the Sith (2005)
- I – The Phantom Menace
- II – Attack of the Clones
- III – Revenge of the Sith
- IV – A New Hope
- V – The Empire Strikes Back
- VI – Return of the Jedi
The viewing order for the Star Wars films could be either of the above, or another order entirely.